Italian architect who worked for Vanvitelli from c.1765, and was in Milan from 1769. Then he became Architect to the Archducal Court, and not only designed many buildings but was the arbiter of all matters relating to the work of other architects. He built the enormous Palazzo Belgioioso (1772–81), followed by other houses, including the Palazzo Greppi (1772–8), the Palazzo Moriggia (1770s), and the Casa Casnedi (c.1776), all in Milan. He designed the Palazzo Ducale (from 1773—with interior decorations by Giocondo Albertolli (1742–1839), and the Villa Ducale, Monza (1776–80—again collaborating with Albertolli). He was responsible for several theatres including the Teatro alla Scala, Milan (1776–9), the Teatro Canobbiana, Milan (1777–80), and others at Novara (1777), Monza (1778), Mantua (1782–3), Crema (1783–5—destroyed), and Matelica (1803–12), all in a refined Neo-Classical style. His work was widely imitated.
Cesarini (1983);Filippini (1936);Meeks (1966);Mezzanotte 1966); & Wasmuth (ed.) (1987);Jane Turner