Established by Battista ‘Pinin’ Farina in Turin as a car body workshop (probably named Farina) the company established its reputation with cars such as the Lancia Aprilia Coupé (1937) with its flowing streamlined form. It came into its own after the Second World War with the Cisitalia Coupé (1947) the flowing lines and organic form of which paralleled the work of other contemporary Italian designers. This included Marcello Nizzoli's Lexicon 80 typewriter for Olivetti in 1948 and Gio Ponti's La Cornuta espresso machine for La Pavoni in 1949. Designs such as the Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider (1956) and the Ferrari 250 GT (1960) consolidated Battista's reputation and led to the decision to rename the company Pininfarina in 1961. The company's Institute for Design Research was established in 1966, the year in which the body of the Fiat 124 Spider was produced. Although many striking designs were produced for Ferrari (including the GTB4 Daytona of 1968 and the Mythos of 1989) and other luxury producers such as Rolls‐Royce, the company also designed a number of mass‐produced models such as the Austin A40 (1958) in Britain and the Peugeot 504 (1968) in France.
Subjects: Industrial and Commercial Art.