The Dutch Cooperative Production and Consumers' Association De Ploeg (The Plough) was established in 1923 to produce textiles for the home. Within a short period the company gave up manufacture in favour of marketing textiles produced by other manufacturers, although from 1928 these included fabrics made to its own designs, generally characterized by simple patterns that drew on abstract rather than naturalistic motifs. Most of the designers worked on a freelance basis and were sympathetic to the tenets of Modernism. Amongst the retail outlets that sold the group's products was the Amsterdam department store De Bijenkorf which sought to promote functionalist products in Holland in the later 1920s and 1930s. However, the Second World War impacted negatively on sales and so it was decided to set up an applied arts subsidiary, t'Spectrum, although the latter became an independent company after the war. In about 1950 De Ploeg recommenced textile production alongside the commissioning of designs from other manufacturers. In 1957 De Ploeg became a limited company. Among the better known De Ploeg designers in later decades was Ulf Moritz, who worked for the company from 1962 to 1969.
Subjects: Industrial and Commercial Art.