Bp. of Salisbury from 1217 to 1228. In 1219 he removed his see from Old Sarum to its present site and in 1220 he began building the present cathedral. He drew up the Salisbury Customary and probably gave the ‘Use of Salisbury’ (q.v.) its final form. The diocesan statutes which he drew up were widely influential in other dioceses. In 1228 he was translated to Durham.