Overview

Porsche Design Studios


'Porsche Design Studios' can also refer to...

 

More Like This

Show all results sharing this subject:

  • Industrial and Commercial Art

GO

Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

(established 1974)

After the members of the Porsche family withdrew from the day‐to‐day running of the Porsche automobile company, Professor F. A. (Ferdinand ‘Butzi’) Porsche founded the Porsche Design Studios in Zell‐Am‐See, Austria, in 1974. In many ways allied to the family's earlier design philosophy embodied in classic automobiles such as the Porsche 356 sports car of 1948 and the 911 of 1963, products designed at the Porsche Design Studios exude an aura of technical sophistication and aesthetic finesse. F. A. Porsche, co‐designer with his father Ferry of the 911, had studied briefly at the Hochschule für Gestaltung at Ulm prior to entering the motor industry. Unsympathetic to customary corporate approaches to design wherein designers moved from drawings to models, he preferred the more direct ‘feel’ for outcome that came from starting with models. The resulting clarity of design, where functions were simplified, also manifested itself in the F. A. Porsche designs from the Porsche Design Studios such as the brushed aluminium Siemens TC 91100 coffee machine of 1998. This technically elegant, minimal design solution used modern materials effectively, an approach endorsed in his designs for leading manufacturers of furniture, lighting, televisions, tobacco pipes, golf clubs, saucepans, domestic appliances, and sunglasses. Such products are expensive, have won design prizes, and have a fashionable cachet in the early 20th century.

Subjects: Industrial and Commercial Art.


Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.