diocese of Portsmouth

Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

The see, comprising south‐east Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, was carved, with Guildford, out of the Winchester diocese in 1927. The cathedral, the former parish church of St Thomas of Canterbury, originally built c.1190, has an Early English east end and a late 17th‐cent. nave and tower (1683–95).

Subjects: British History.

Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.