(fl 1466–1515). German architect. He was one of the most outstanding artists of the so-called Silesia-Lausitz school of around 1500, and he was probably trained in the Regensburg lodge. He worked in the regions of Saxony, Lausitz and Silesia; from 1470 to 1480 he was one of the leading master craftsmen in the workshop of Arnold von westfalen at Meissen, where, among other projects, he carried out work on the Albrechtsburg and in the Royal Chapel. From 1480 he directed a group of Upper Lausitz stonemasons on the town hall at Breslau (now Wrocław). This, with the parish church at Pirna (built between 1505 and 1515), is his main work, particularly the second phase from 1482. The building owes its remarkable appearance to its very rich decorative sculpture, which was originally further enhanced by the use of colour. Smaller buildings in Lausitz attributed to Preusse include the Marienkirche at Ziegelheim, the Marienkirche at Zwickau and Burgstädt Church.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.