The Public Record Act 1838 established the Public Record Office as a central depository for ‘all rolls, records, writs, books, proceedings, decrees, bills, warrants, accounts, papers, and documents whatsoever of a public nature, belonging to Her Majesty’, together with those records previously deposited in the Tower of London, the Chapter House at Westminster, and elsewhere. In 1838 purpose‐built premises in Chancery Lane, London, with reading space in the Round Room, the Long Room, and the Rolls Room, were opened to the public. In 1977 new purpose‐built premises were opened at Kew, with a main reading room, a microfilm room, and a room for large documents and maps. These rooms were provided with a new computerized system and mechanical delivery. In 2003 the PRO merged with the Royal Commission on Historical Manuscripts to become The National Archives.
For Scotland, see The National Archives of Scotland. The National Archives of Ireland is housed at Bishop Street, Dublin. The Public Record Office of Northern Ireland is at 66 Balmoral Avenue, Belfast.
http://www.nas.gov.uk The National Archives of Scotland.
http://www.nationalarchives.ie The National Archives of Ireland.
http://www.proni.gov.uk Public Record Office of Northern Ireland.