Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

(pl. pulvins, pulvinatae, pulvini).

1 Form resembling a cushion or pillow, such as the baluster-like side of an Ionic volute, called balteus. Pulvination is therefore a swelling, as though a cushion was being squashed. Friezes in some of the Roman Classical Orders are occasionally pulvinated, or bulging out with a convex profile, also called cushioned or swelled.

2 Impost-block or dosseret between the capital and arch in a Byzantine or Rundbogenstil arcade.

3Pulvinus et gradus inferior were the seat and step below around a warm-water bath in Roman times.

Subjects: Architecture.

Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.