Ancient city of the Ganges civilization, capital of the Magadha kingdom, now under the modern city of Rajgir. Early remains include a stone rampart of the 6th century bc. In later times the city was frequently visited by the Buddha, and a series of elliptical structures may represent the remains of his Jivikarama monastery.
M. H. Kuraishi, 1951, Rajgir. Delhi: Department of Archaeology