Was the chief rival as a pleasure garden to Vauxhall and claimed to be a cut above its competitor. It opened in April 1742 in the grounds of a house built in the 1690s for Lord Ranelagh. The chief attraction was the great Rotunda, demolished in 1803 when the gardens closed. The site was adjacent to Chelsea hospital, where new gardens, still extant, were laid out in the 1860s.
Subjects: British History.