(1823–1914). German architect. As City Architect of Cologne (1854–72) he restored many of that city's churches and other buildings. He evolved an opulent Renaissance style in which French and German elements were mixed. From 1878 he was Professor at the Technische Hochschule (College of Technology), Berlin. He designed the English Church of St George, Monbijou Park, Berlin (1884), and the mausoleum of Kaiser Friedrich III (1831–88—reigned 1888), Kaiserin (1888) Victoria, Princess Royal of England (1840–1901), and two of their children, Princes Sigismund (1864–6) and Waldemar (1868–79), at Persius's great Friedenskirche (Church of Peace), Potsdam (1884–9), and built the Lutheran Cathedral in the Lustgarten (Pleasure Garden), Berlin (1888–1905—damaged in the 1939–45 war, but restored, although the dome and lantern bear no resemblance to the original), which replaced an earlier structure altered by Schinkel. The Cathedral contains a large crypt containing the sarcophagi of members of the Prussian Royal House, but the whole building's overblown Imperial Baroque style never gained it much affection. He published Rheinische Holz- und Fachwerkbauten des XVI. und XVII. Jahrhunderts (Rhenish Timber and Half-timbered Buildings of the Sixteenth and Seventeenth Centuries— 1895), Der Dom zu Berlin (Berlin Cathedral— 1896), Kaiser Friedrich III. Mausoleum zu Potsdam (Emperor Friedrich III's Mausoleum in Potsdam— 1899), and other works.
From A Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture in Oxford Reference.