Founded in colonial times by Protestant settlers from the Netherlands, is Calvinistic in faith and presbyterian in government. Until the English conquest in 1664, it was the established church of New Netherland. In 1771 it became independent of the mother church. For a long time it was a strong denomination in New York and New Jersey, moving toward the Middle West in the mid-19th century. Among the educational institutions it has sponsored is Rutgers University.