Reginald of Ely

Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

(fl 1438; d Cambridge, 1471).

English architect. He is first mentioned in Cambridge in 1438, when making a newel stair for Peterhouse. In 1443 he was working at King's College, and in 1444 Reginald and others were commissioned to recruit masons for the project. His name occurs repeatedly in College accounts from 1447, not always for building work. By the 1450s, if not before, Reginald of Ely was in charge of the new chapel. No other work of note is documented, although he carried out various minor repairs in Cambridge.


From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.

Subjects: Renaissance Art.

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.