Eldest son of Humphry Repton, he collaborated with his father on a number of projects, especially after the latter was severely disabled in 1811. J. A. Repton studied with William Wilkins, Senior, in Norwich, from whom he acquired a love of medieval architecture. In 1796 he entered Nash's office where he carried out alterations at Corsham Court, Wilts. (1797–8), but Nash appears to have exploited the young man (who was totally deaf from infancy), so he joined his father in 1802, and carried out many alterations to country-houses where Humphry was improving the gardens. He made extensive changes to a number of Continental estates, including that of Pückler-Muskau at Neu-Hardenberg, near Frankfurt/Oder (1822), and Schloss Glienicke, near Potsdam (also 1822, but begun by Lenné in 1816). Architecturally he favoured an Elizabethan style, but he also used the Classical style (Sheringham Hall, Norfolk (1813–19), and the Romanesque Revival (at Holy Trinity Church, Springfield, near Chelmsford, Essex (1842–3).
Colvin (1995);Hussey (1958);Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (2004);Placzek (ed.) (1982);Stroud (1962)