Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

Of or relating to speech sounds articulated with the tip of the tongue curled back towards the front part of the hard palate behind the alveolar ridge, as in the r sounds in North American English and some rhotic varieties of British English, especially the south-west of England. See also place of articulation. [From Latin retroflexus bent back, from retro- back + flectere to bend]

Subjects: Psychology.

Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.