Finnish architect. He made his name with the ‘glass palace’ office-building, Helsinki (1935—with Niilo Kokko (1907–75) and Heimo Riihimäki (1907–62) ). He assisted Aalto on the Finnish Pavilion for the 1937 Paris Exposition, and after the 1939–45 war his frequent use of horizontal strip-windows and pilotis in many of his buildings (such as the Teollisuuskeskus office-building, Helsinki (1952), designed with Keijo Petäjä (1919–88) ) estab-lished his credentials as an International Modernist. In 1958, with Heikki Castrén (1929–80), Bengt Lundsten (1928– ), and Seppo Valjus (1928– ), he won the competition to design the City Hall, Toronto, Canada, with a design incorporating two curved towers embracing a domed hall (completed 1964): the building was realized in conjunction with John B. Parkin Associates. He was influential in promoting industrialized building and standardization.
Ålander (ed.) (1966);Hertzen & Speiregen (1973);Kalman (1994);Lundsten (ed.) (1968);M&N (1987);Jane Turner (1996)