(1599–1676), Bp. of Norwich. He was educated at Merton College, Oxford, and in 1628 appointed preacher at Lincoln's Inn. He had considerable sympathies with the Puritan Movement, but, though a member of the Westminster Assembly, did not take the Covenant until 1644. In 1647 he was one of the parliamentary visitors at Oxford, and in 1648–50 was Dean of Christ Church; he returned briefly in 1660 as Dean before being obliged to move to Merton. He took a prominent part in the efforts made at the Restoration to effect a reconciliation between Episcopalians and Presbyterians; on deciding to conform, he was made Bp. of Norwich in 1661. He published many sermons and short devotional works which maintained a wide popularity down to the early 19th century.
From The Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church in Oxford Reference.