wrongly called ‘King of the English’. The father of Willibald, Winnibald, and Walburga, Richard (the name apparently dates only from the 11th century) left his native Hampshire with his family on pilgrimage to the Holy Land, but died at Lucca and was buried in the Church of S. Frediano. Both at Eichstatt and at Lucca his relics were publicly venerated, at least from the 12th century. Although he is not mentioned in ancient Martyrologies, his feast was kept on 7 February, particularly at Lucca, where his supposed relics survive. A famous account of the pilgrimage on which he died was written by the nun Hugeburc; it is called the Hodoeporicon.
AA.SS. Feb. II (1658), 69–81; M. Coens, ‘Légende et miracles du roi S. Richard’, Anal. Boll., xlix (1931), 353–97; W. Grothe, Der hl. Richard und seine Kinder (1908); see also C. H. Talbot, The Anglo-Saxon Missionaries in Germany (1954), pp. 153–77.