Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

1 The name given to timbers secured between the keelson of a wooden ship and the orlop beams to give it additional strength if it was weakened by stranding or other causes. They were normally only used when the floors or timbers had been broken or damaged in order to give the vessel enough strength to enable it to reach a port for repairs. They were also sometimes known as ground or upper futtock riders according to the position in which they were required.

2 The name given to the upper tiers of casks stowed in the hold of a ship.

Subjects: Maritime History.

Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.