English architect. In 1899 he succeeded Thomas Blashill (1831–1905) as Architect to the London County Council, and under their direction two major programmes of slum-clearance and rebuilding took place at Boundary Street, Shoreditch (from 1893), and Millbank (from 1897), London. Both were triumphs of humane, well-designed housing, in an eclectic Queen Anne style. Riley took over the London School Board's building programme begun by E. R. Robson in 1904. Some of his team's best works include the London Fire Brigade Stations, including the fine composition opposite St Pancras's Church on the Euston Road, London (1902).
A. S. Gray (1985)