Not long before 661, Alchfrith, a son of Oswiu, King of Northumbria, founded a monastery, of which St Wilfrid became abbot in 661; it was destroyed in 950. In the 11th cent. Augustinian canons built a new church on the ruins. This foundation was dissolved by Henry VIII, but was refounded as a collegiate church in 1604. In 1836 the church became the cathedral of the new diocese of Ripon (since 2000, of Ripon and Leeds).