Scots architect, probably related to the Adam family, and seemingly a contributing factor creating the financial difficulties that beset William Adam in the 1820s. Robertson and his (presumably) brother, Alexander, were involved in speculative developments in London in 1812 which seem to have contributed to their bankruptcy in 1817. However, in the 1820s Daniel worked in Oxford, where he designed the Graeco-Roman University Press Building, Walton Street (1826–7), restored the Gothic High Street front of All Souls College (1827), rebuilt the west side of the North Quad, Oriel College (1826), and also carried out works at Wadham (1826) and St John's (1826–7) Colleges. He designed two churches in a somewhat starved (hence the local epithet of ‘Boiled Rabbit’) Neo-Norman style: St Clement, Oxford (1827–8), and St Swithun, Kennington, Berks. (1827–8—attributed on stylistic grounds). He left Oxford (1829) under a cloud, and settled in Ireland, where he designed some country-houses, including Carrigglas Manor, Co. Longford (1837–45—Tudorbethan). Castleboro House, near Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford (c.1840— Classical, burnt out 1923), and sundry additions to Johnstown Castle, near Wexford (c. 1833–6— castellated). He was working on the upper terrace at Powerscourt, Enniskerry, Co. Wicklow (1843), where he had to direct the works from a wheelbarrow in a state of inebriation. Thereafter his fate eludes discovery. He has been confused with William Robertson, to whom he does not seem to have been related.
Bence-Jones (1988);Colvin (1995);Craig (1982)