Scots architect, active in Morayshire and surrounding areas. He established his practice in Elgin c.1823. An accomplished Greek and Gothic Revivalist, and a fine draughtsman, he designed the RC churches at Wick (Caithness) and Inverness (1836), the Public Library, originally Dr Bell's School (1839–41—Greek Revival), the former Union Hotel, Inverness (1838–9), and many other buildings, all of them with some architectural presence. His Banff Academy (1836–8), sundry works at Cullen, Banffshire (Town Hall, Post Office, Seafield Arms, Stables, Houses in the Square, and South Deskford Street, villas at Seafield Place, etc. (1822–5) ), and the mausolea at Bellie, Fochabers, Morayshire (1824–5—Greek Revival), and Inveravon, Banffshire (1829—Gothic), attest to his ability to design agreeably proportioned and well-mannered buildings.
Colvin (1995);Gifford (1996)