(fl 1434–65). French glass painter. He was a local artist working at the court of René I, Duke of Anjou (reg 1409–80), and was one of the great exponents of the last phase of Gothic stained glass in France. From 1434 to 1448 he was charged with the regular repair of the glass in Angers Cathedral, and his name constantly appears in the cathedral registers until 1454. When a fire in 1451 destroyed much of the original 13th-century glass in the transepts, Robin was made responsible for replacing the rose windows and several of the lancets. Surviving contracts provide limited documentation of the subjects of the original windows and those designated for the 15th-century replacements. Robin was to incorporate the Last Judgement into the north rose and the Signs of the Zodiac into the south. He enlarged the theme of the Last Judgement to include the apocryphal series of the Fifteen Signs of Doomsday, which had become popular by the 15th century. His iconography was derived from representations of the same subject devised by the Bedford Master and his workshop (e.g. in two Books of Hours of before 1420: Lisbon, Mus. Gulbenkian, MS. L.A. 237, fol. 122v; Vienna, Österreich. Nbib., Cod. 1855, fol. 218v). In the south rose, Christ in Majesty is surrounded by the 12 Elders of the Apocalypse and the 12 Signs of the Zodiac. The style of these windows is clear and elegant, with elements of realism derived from south Netherlandish art. Robin's use of colour is particularly subtle, combining grisaille with sections of rich colour. In the windows showing angels bearing instruments of the Passion, for example, blues are combined with green and reds or with murrey (purple–red), and bronze golds with reds. In 1452 René d’Anjou commissioned him to make the stained glass (destr.) of the castle chapel at Angers. From c. 1463 he was painting glass for the Benedictine monastery of St Serge, Angers.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.