Overview

Sir William Robinson

(c. 1643—1712) engineer and architect


Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

(c. 1643–1712). English architect and engineer. After becoming Surveyor-General of the Fortifications and Buildings in Ireland in 1671, his main works were the redesigning of Dublin Castle from 1684 (completed by Thomas Burgh and William Molyneux (1656–96), the building of the Royal Hospital, Kilmainham, Co. Dublin (1679–87), and several forts, including Charlemont, Co. Armagh (1673), and Charles, Kinsale, Co. Cork (1677–81). He seems to have played a significant part in the development of Classicism in Ireland, for the Baroque features at the Royal Hospital were of fine quality. After the Williamite wars (1688–91) he designed St Mary's Church (1701–5) and Marsh's Library (1703–4), both in Dublin. He acquired so many official positions in Ireland and amassed such a fortune that the suspicion of corruption on an enormous scale is difficult to avoid, the more so when the Privy Council was obliged to pass an enactment to relieve his creditors in 1724, long after his death.

From A Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture in Oxford Reference.

Subjects: Architecture.


Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.