More Like This

Show all results sharing this subject:

  • Art


Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

Term applied from the mid-16th century onwards to fancy rock-work and shell-work for fountains and grottoes, and later to ornament based on such forms. The word Rococo derives from it and the two terms have sometimes been used synonymously by French art historians.

Subjects: Art.

Reference entries

See all related reference entries in Oxford Index »

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.