French Neo-Classical architect, the son of Hubert Rohault de Fleury (1777–1846), a fine draughtsman who designed (the Barracks, rue Mouffetard (1821–4), was a good example of his austere but grand Neo-Classicism). Charles designed in a variety of other styles as well, including Moorish (the Hippodrome, Paris (1844–5)—destroyed) and Renaissance (Pavillon de Rohan (1853). A pioneer of iron-and-glass structures, his Musée d'Histoire Naturelle (1833–4) was studied by Paxton. He designed many villas and commercial buildings, was responsible for the plan of the Place de l'Opéra, surrounding streets, and many buildings, and designed the Grand Hôtel du Louvre (1855) with Hittorff and J. -A. -F. -A. Pellechet (1829–1903). Also with Hittorff he designed the layouts and façades of the buildings around the Place de l'Étoile (now Place Charles de Gaulle), Paris (1857–8). Although he developed plans for a new opera-house, much influenced by Semper's work, and was appointed Architect for the new Opéra in 1859, the Empress Eugénie (1826–1920) called for a competition in 1859, which was won by C. Garnier. Embittered, Rohault de Fleury then abandoned architecture and devoted himself to religious writings, including Le Sainte Vièrge: Études archéologiques et iconographiques (The Holy Virgin: Archaeological and Iconographical Studies—1878). His son, Georges (1835–1905), wrote on medieval architecture and published (1884) a memoir of his father's work.
Gourlier et al. (1825–50);Hix (1996);Middleton & Watkin (1987);Placzek (ed.) (1982);Jane Turner (1996)