Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

A U-shaped space cut in a boat's gunwale or transom to take an oar. In the past, when the boat was under sail, or secured alongside, the rowlocks were closed with shutters, or poppets as they were sometimes called. The word rowlock is now used, though wrongly, to describe the metal crutches used for oars in rowing boats. See also thole pin.


Subjects: Maritime History.

Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.