Royal & Ancient

Show Summary Details

Quick Reference


A golf club based at St Andrews, Scotland, where golfing enthusiasts played a competition based on written rules in 1754. The St Andrews golfers played eleven holes along the shoreline, and the same holes in reverse direction. In 1764, the club converted the first four holes into two, thus constituting a round of eighteen holes. As it came to be recognized as the primary authority on golf in the UK, eighteen holes became the standard round; though it was not until 1919 that the R&A became officially recognized as the overarching authority for the game in the UK, much later than its opposite number in the USA, the United States Golf Association, formed in 1891. See also golf.

Subjects: Sport and Leisure.

Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.