An observatory on Blackford Hill, Edinburgh, owned and operated by the UK's Particle Physics and Astronomy Research Council. The ROE was founded in 1818 on Calton Hill, Edinburgh, but moved to its present site in 1894–6. It operated the United Kingdom Schmidt Telescope in Australia from 1973 to 1988, and still houses its library of photographic plates. ROE now houses the UK Astronomy Technology Centre and the Institute for Astronomy of the University of Edinburgh.
http://www.roe.ac.uk/ Official observatory website.
Subjects: Astronomy and Astrophysics.