Mus. college in Glasgow, originating from Glasgow Athenaeum Sch. of Mus., founded 1890. In 1929, a Scottish Nat. Acad. of Mus. was formed to combine with univ. faculty of mus., the Prin. combining office with that of univ. prof. of mus. Prefix ‘Royal’ 1944. Drama sch. added 1950, present title dating from 1968. Separate Prin. appointed 1953. New building opened 1987. Prins.: W. G. Whittaker 1929–41; Ernest Bullock 1941–52; H. Havergal 1953–69; K. Barritt 1969–76; D. Lumsden 1978–82; Philip Ledger 1982–2000; John Wallace from 2000.