(1925–92). Finnish architect. His work was at first firmly established in International Modernism and in the 1960s continued in Rationalism and became more ascetic as Brutalism was embraced. He often favoured stereometrically pure shapes, such as cubes and pyramids, as in his Hyvinkää Church and Parish Centre (1961). Other works include the extensions and renovations of the City Hall, Helsinki (1970–84), and the ingenious proposals for extending the National Museum, Helsinki (1987). He was an influential teacher and practitioner.
From A Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture in Oxford Reference.