Tunisian college founded in 1875 by Khayr al-Din al-Tunisi. Original purpose was to train a new corps of government officials in both Islamic and modern scientific topics. Broke the control of ulama over secondary education, thus limiting their actual, although unofficial, power in government and society. Became the model for French-Arab schools during the French colonial period. Reorganized in 1911 as a diploma-granting institution and again in 1930 to follow the format of French lycées. Along with students from Zaytunah Mosque, its graduates became the heart of the Tunisian nationalist movement.