Inca ceremonial centre and fortress situated on a hill on the outskirts of modern Cuzco. Set out some time after ad 1438 in the shape of a puma's head, the site was originally planned as a Temple of the Sun to stand at the head of a site which would have extended over what is now Cuzco.
A round tower was built on the top of the hill, and three parallel zig‐zag walls of cut and fitted polygonal stones run along the northern side of the hill, creating terraces 550 m long. In the interior there were also storage structures and dwellings, a reservoir, and a water supply system. The site was used as a fortress against the Spanish in the 16th century ad, but after the conquest the round tower was demolished.
V. R. Lee, 1987, The building of Sacsayhuaman. Berkeley, CA: Institute of Andean Studies