Cathedral city in Wiltshire. It originated with an Iron Age hill‐fort which housed successively a Roman, Anglo‐Saxon, and Norman town. In the 1070s it acquired a cathedral, which in the 12th cent. was a major intellectual centre. In 1219 the bishop moved to a new, level site 1½ miles south; a large cathedral was built in uniform style c. 1220–1320, its tower crowned by the tallest surviving medieval spire in Europe. The city flourished through the cloth industry, becoming the fourth largest English town in the 15th cent.
Subjects: Literature — History.