(1697–1751). Italian architect, accomplished in scenography. In the 1730s he entered the architectural competitions arranged by Pope Clement XII (1730–40), and won that to build the Trevi Fountain (1732–7), his masterpiece, based on a triumphal arch, the whole composition set on a rock-work base. He remodelled the interior of the Church of Santa Maria dei Gradi, Viterbo (1737), designed the Chapel of St John, St Roch, Lisbon, Portugal (1742), and extended Bernini's Palazzo Chigi-Odescalchi, Rome (1745).
From A Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture in Oxford Reference.