(b Monte San Savino, nr. Arezzo, c.1467/70; d Monte San Savino, Mar./Apr. 1529).
Italian sculptor and architect, named after his birthplace. He called himself a Florentine, but although much of his sculpture is in Florence, his fame rests on what he did elsewhere, notably in Rome. His major works there include the companion tombs of Cardinal Ascanio Sforza and Cardinal Girolamo Basso della Rovere (1505–9, S. Maria del Popolo) and the group of the Virgin and Child with St Anne (1512, S. Agostino), which display classical dignity and grace combined with human tenderness. Sansovino spent much of the period 1513–27 in Loreto in charge of the sculpture (and for part of the time the architecture also) of the shrine of the Holy House, originally designed by Bramante. In the 1490s he twice visited Portugal, but no work that is certainly by him survives there. Jacopo Sansovino was Andrea's main pupil.