(fl Bruges, c.1490–1500). South Netherlandish painter. The Master is known only from three ogive-shaped panels of equal dimensions (1.50×0.92 m) with the Martyrdom of St Andrew in the centre, the Marriage at Cana on the left and the Raising of Lazarus on the right (1499; all San Lorenzo della Costa, church, Italy). The central panel contains donor portraits. The altarpiece was commissioned by the Genoese merchant Andreas de la Coste (Andrea della Costa; d 1542), who became a citizen of Bruges in 1483 and to whom the Master was probably related. The merchant's wife, Agnes Adornes, whom he married in 1492, came from an influential Flemish-Genoese family. Although the three panels were executed in Bruges, on their completion they were shipped to Genoa and placed on the altar of St Andrew in the church built by Lorenzo della Costa, located in the small town of San Lorenzo della Costa near Santa Margherita Ligure, on the coast near Genoa.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.