French architect. Trained at the École des Beaux-Arts, Paris, his early work was in the Art Nouveau style, much influenced by the Majorelle family with whom (with others, including Frantz Jourdian) he designed the Villa Majorelle, Nancy (1898–1901), one of the finest examples of the Art Nouveau ‘École de Nancy’. He designed numerous interiors, fabrics, wallpapers, ceramics, and jewellery in the early years of the C20, but gradually moved more towards architectural design from the time of the building of his glazed Galerie Argentine, Avenue Victor Hugo, Paris (c.1900). This was followed by an inexpensive apartment-block, 1 Rue Fernand Flocon, Paris (1901), a building-type which he evolved as founder (with his partner from 1898 to 1912, Charles Sarazin (1873–1950) of a company (the Société Anonyme de Logements Hygiéniques à Bon Marché) to build hygienic model dwellings in 1903. He designed various exemplary blocks, including that at 26 Rue Vavin (1912), where he exploited stepped terraces, and treated the walls in a manner derived from the work of Wagner and his colleagues in Vienna. The Gambetta (1920) and Les Sèvres (1922) cinemas were built to Sauvage's designs, followed by sundry pavilions for the Exposition Internationale des Arts-Décoratifs (1924–5), after which his work had a pronounced Art Deco flavour. In 1926 he designed the huge garage at the Rue Campagne-Première and, with Frantz Jourdain, the extension to the department-store La Samaritaine, Rue du Pont Neuf, Paris (1926–9). His Magasins Decré, Nantes, had an overtly expressed steel frame (1931—destroyed).
Borsi & Godoli (1978);Kalman (1980);Minnaert (2002);Sauvage & Sarazin (1904);Jane Turner (1996);Tschudi-Madsen (1967)