(1911 –86), was born on Tyneside and educated at King's College, Durham, Fitzwilliam House, Cambridge, and the Sorbonne. Before the Second World War he was a university lecturer. He entered the army in 1941, and by 1945 was lieutenant-colonel in the Education Corps. He taught French at Glasgow University until 1959, when he became director of the British Institute in Paris, a post he held until 1978. In that year he was made Chevalier de la Légion d'Honneur.
From The Oxford Companion to Twentieth-Century Poetry in English in Oxford Reference.