Italian architect. He set up his practice in Venice from 1927 and later directed the Istituto Universitario di Architettura in that city (1972–8). In the Fascist era he was both a devotee of Italian Rationalism as well as a subscriber to Modern Movement. He made his post-war reputation as a designer of exhibitions, galleries, and museums, starting with the renovation of the Galleria Nazionale della Sicilia, Palermo (1953–4). Other works include the extension to the Gipsoteca Canoviana, Possagno, near Treviso (1955–7), and interior of the Museo Civico di Castelvecchio, Verona (1964). His invention, sense of drama, fine detailing, and use of materials created remarkably successful designs of great intensity. Various works, including the Villa Zoppas, Conegliano (1948–53), the Olivetti Showroom, Venice (1957–61), and the Casa Veritti, Udine (1957–61), demonstrated aspects of his command of volumetric juxtapositions. One of his most successful designs is the Brion Cemetery, San Vito d'Altivole, near Treviso (1970–2), where powerful geometries and stark concrete are combined.
Albertini & Bagnoli (1988);Crippa (1986);Dal Colorado & Mazzariol (eds.) (1985);L. Kahn & Cantacuzino (eds.) (1974);Los (1993, 1995);Marcianò (1984);Noever (1989);Olsberg et al. (1999);Saito (1997);Scarpa (1993)