Architect of the Neo-Gothic Rathaus (Town Hall) in Vienna (1872–82), which resembles a Flemish Cloth or Town Hall. Schmidt established himself as an important exponent of the Gothic Revival in Austria with his Fünfhaus Pfarrkirche, Maria vom Siege (1867–75), built on an aisled octagonal plan, with medievalizing detail. He worked on the continuation of Cologne Cathedral from 1843 (he was an expert on stereotomy), and taught architecture at Brera, Italy (1857–9). He restored the Church of Sant'Ambrogio, Milan. Among his other buildings is the Church of St Stephan, Krefeld, Germany (1854–81).
Germann (1972);Haiko (1991);Meeks (1966);Sturgis et al. (1901–2)