German architect, a pupil of Krubsacius. He found early employment preparing illustrations for books, including the important Theorie der Gartenkunst (Theory of the Art of Gardening—1779–85) by Hirschfeld, before entering the Saxon State service as Court Inspector (1782). He designed the beautiful domed blue room and other Neo-Classical interiors in the Römisches Haus in the Schlosspark, Weimar, erected to plans by Arens. Other works include the Kurhaus at Bad Wolkenstein, and (with Karl August Benjamin Siegel (1757–1832) and others), he was involved in the rebuilding of Schloss Kuckuckstein, Liebstadt, near Pirna (1798–1802), both in Saxony. He remodelled Schloss Gaussig, near Bautzen, in a Palladian style, and designed a mansion at Kačina, near Prague (1802), in which Neo-Classical themes became dominant. He also designed the Chinese Pavilion (1804) in the grounds of Schloss Pillnitz, near Dresden, and the Belvedere on the Brühlsche Terrasse by the Elbe, Dresden (1812–14—destroyed 1842), influenced by the severe Neo-Classicism of Gilly. Appointed Court Architect in 1812, he designed the Neues Palais, Schloss Pillnitz (1818–26), the roof of which echoed the original theme established by Pöppelmann in the 1720s, but the building itself is Neo-Classical with primitive Doric columns flanking the entrances.
Jane Turner (1996);Watkin & Mellinghoff (1987)