Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

1 Ornament composed of curved lines like volutes, often of double flexure passing from one volute to another in series on a band or frieze, as in Vitruvian or wave-scroll, but sometimes used as a terminal feature, e.g. handrail of a stair balustrade.

2 Volute of a console, modillion, or capital (e.g. in the Composite, Corinthian, and Ionic Orders).

3 Type of Gothic moulding with a deep scroll-like indentation under a hood-like top occurring on hood-moulds, labels, and string-courses.

4 Torsade or spiral scroll.

Subjects: Architecture.

Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.