English architect, one of the most inventive of his time. Trained by Street, he later became much influenced by Ruskin and Morris, and his London office became a magnet for all those interested in the Arts-and-Crafts movement.
His assistant, Henry Wilson, contributed much to his later designs. Among his early works are St Clement's Church, Boscombe, Bournemouth, Hants. (1871—designed with his brother, Edmund Sedding (1836–68), but his greatest buildings are in London. His Church of the Holy Redeemer, Exmouth Market, Clerkenwell, London (1887–8), is a remarkable Italianate early Renaissance Revival building, starkly simple, with a west front crowned by a Tuscan pediment. Henry Wilson added the Early Christian Italian Romanesque campanile. Sedding and Wilson also designed St Peter's, Mount Park Road, Ealing, London (1889–93), an essay using the curvaceous forms of late Gothic with originality and virtuosity. Their masterpiece is undoubtedly Holy Trinity, Sloane Street, London (1888–90), a work in which late-Perpendicular Gothic, Byzantine, Second Pointed tracery, Renaissance, Art Nouveau, and Arts-and-Crafts elements are found. His nephew, Edmund Harold Sedding (d. 1921), was also an architect.
Dinsmoor&Muthesius (1985);Howell & Sutton (eds.) (1989);G. Naylor (1971);Sedding (1891, 1893);Service (ed.) (1975);Stamp & Avery (1980);H. Wilson et al. (1892)