Scots architect. He practised in Glasgow, and was in partnership (1872–88) with Campbell Douglas (1828–1910) after the latter's partnership (1860–9) with J. J. Stevenson ended. Their finest works were the Greek Revival St Andrew's Halls (1873–7), Belmont Hillhead Church (1875–6), Belhaven Church (1876–7—later the Greek Orthodox Cathedral), Kelvinside Academy (1877–9—influenced by the work of Alexander Thomson), and Anderson's College of Medicine (1888–9), all in Glasgow. His work was either Grecian, Free Renaissance, or French Gothic in style. His Glasgow International Exhibition Buildings (1887–8) were exotic and oriental, with a strong whiff of Saracenic influence.
Das Werk ;Gomme & Walker (1987);SAR, ix/1&2 (1967), 16–19, 21–4;Williamson, Riches, & Higgs (1990)