a restorer of religious orders in Anglicanism. In 1848, hearing a public appeal by H. Phillpotts, Bp. of Exeter, she abandoned a plan to leave England, in order to work among the destitute of Plymouth, Devonport, and Stonehouse. She was joined by others and created a community life (the ‘Devonport Sisters of Mercy’). In 1856 she united her community with the Sisters of the Holy Cross at Osnaburgh Street, Regent's Park, in London, and assumed the title of Abbess of the combined sisterhood of the ‘Society of the Most Holy Trinity’ (later centred at Ascot Priory, Berks.). Feast day in CW, 20 Nov.