(1776–1832). English architect. He was apprenticed to the elder Gwilt before setting up his London practice in 1798. In 1803 he became Surveyor to the Eyre Estate in St John's Wood, and exhibited a proposal (unrealized) for a ‘British Circus’ of detached and semi-detached houses arranged on either side of a circular road a mile in circumference. Thereafter he and his son, John Shaw (1803–70), became developers of suburbs set out on irregular winding roads. He carried out Gothic additions at Christ's Hospital, London (1820–32—demolished), a style he also employed at Newstead Abbey, Nottingham, which he remodelled (1818–c.1830). He is best remembered for the Church of St Dunstan-in-the-West, Fleet Street, London (1831–2), completed by his son. The detail is an early example of archaeologically correct Gothic Revival. The younger Shaw became Surveyor to Eton College in c. 1825 and designed the Tudor Gothic buildings at Weston's Yard there, also developing the Chalcots Estate, Chalk Farm, London (1840–5), including Adelaide Road and Eton College Road. He was employed by the Church Building Commissioners and published A Letter on Ecclesiastical Architecture … (1839) in which he proposed the Romanesque style should be used for churches because it would be cheaper than the Gothic or Classical styles. His work in ‘Norman Revival’ included Holy Trinity, Gough Square, London (1837–8—demolished), Christ Church, Watney Street, Stepney, London (1840–1—demolished), and St Peter's, Woodford, New Road, Walthamstow, Essex (1840—altered), although the last was a vaguely Early Christian Italianate Rundbogenstil. He designed a number of buildings in a revived Renaissance style that pre-empted the Wrenaissance of the end of the century. His best buildings are at Wellington College, near Sandhurst, Berks. (1855–9—a mixture of Louis XIII, Wren's work at Hampton Court Palace, and other Anglo-Dutch elements reminiscent of Nesfield's Queen Anne style at Kinmel Park, Denbighshire some 12 years later), and Goldsmith's College, formerly the Royal Naval School, Lewisham Way, Deptford, London (1843—an astonishing, restrained design of decidedly Italian character that would easily pass for a building of c. 1900).
From A Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture in Oxford Reference.