diocese of Sheffield

Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

This see, comprising south Yorkshire, was created in 1914 out of the York diocese. Though a suffragan see of Sheffield was established in 1901, only the rapid extension of the Doncaster coalfield enabled the passage of the Three Bishoprics Bill (for Sheffield, Chelmsford, and Bury St Edmunds) in 1913. The cathedral is the former Perpendicular parish church (c.1430), reconstructed in 1880, with further extensions completed in 1966.

Subjects: British History.

Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.